Sky may have just announced a price rise but it seems customers are about to get some major new features.
The satellite TV company has just announced an update to its popular Sky Q box which will bring a more personalilsed experience and compatibility with the Spotify music service.
Sky says that the update will begin rolling out next month and is aimed at making the Sky Q experience even better.
Sky Q will continue to be enhanced with multiple new features making it even easier for customers to find and enjoy content they love.
Greater personalisation based on a household’s viewing habits will ensure customers are served content most relevant to them.
At the same time, Sky Q’s Voice functionality will be extended to give customers the ability to ask for personalised recommendations such as “show movies for me”.
In order to create an even better viewing experience, a new, wide-screen, user interface will be introduced and the amount of Ultra HD content available will double this year, with over 1,000 hours of UHD content on Sky including the whole Spider-Man franchise.
Sky also says its latest Q platform will become one of the safest places for kids to watch TV with the introduction of a new Kids mode, giving parents peace of mind over what their children can access.
The reach and accessibility of Sky Q will also be extended with the ability to stream content to more devices at the same time, plus a Sky Q app will become available on Smart TVs and third party devices.
At the same time, Sky Group is announcing a new partnership with the world’s leading music subscription service Spotify.
Starting first in the UK and Ireland, the partnership will offer customers easier access to more of the entertainment they love.
In spring, the world’s leading music subscription service, Spotify, will launch on Sky Q in the UK and Ireland. Along with the recently launched Sky Soundbox, this partnership will offer customers a simple set-up for a high quality home music solution.
With over 35 million songs, customers can find music from global superstars such as Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and Drake, or browse Spotify’s library of curated playlists such as Hot Hits UK, Easy 90s and Massive Dance Hits within the Sky Q homepage and via the Spotify app.
Sky Q customers will begin seeing an update in the coming months
Customers will be able to use the ad-supported Spotify service for free, or log in to their premium account.
Along with Sky Soundbox, customers will be able to augment their existing Sky Q audio services, including the ability to stream to TV speakers via AirPlay or Bluetooth.
Speaking about the update Jeremy Darroch, Group Chief Executive, Sky said: “Sky Q keeps getting better and better. With this suite of innovation, we are taking the user experience to another level – and we won’t stop there.
“We will continue enhancing Sky Q and finding new ways to bring customers more of what they love, and in so doing ensure we appeal to every household and every one in that household. With Spotify joining our Sky Q platform, we are giving customers the best home entertainment experience in Europe.”
Sky Q update begins rolling out next month
HERE’S SOME OF THE KEY NEW FEATURES
• Voice functionality extended to give personalised recommendations – e.g. “show movies for me” – and app specific requests – e.g. “what is the weather today?”
• The Sports section will be personalised to reflect customer’s favourite sports and teams, seamlessly integrating with the Sky Sports app, ensuring customers always know what’s on and what the latest relevant news is.
• Introduction of a brand new widescreen user interface which will help customers navigate a mixture of personalised and curated sections of content.
• A newly designed homepage including ‘Most Recent Recordings’ and ‘Favourite Channels’ along with editorially curated selections of Box Sets, Movies, and Catch-Up TV, will get customers to their favourite content quicker and easier than ever before.
• The viewing experience will be taken to another level with the launch of HDR, to give customers with 4K televisions the most stunning definition and clarity available.
• New kids mode – integrated with the kids app – will make Sky Q more fun and interactive for younger audiences, while at the same time being a safer environment, giving parents peace of mind over what their children can access and watch.
• Customers with multiple devices will be able to stream Sky content on the Sky Q app on even more devices at the same time – bringing even more flexibility to watching on the go.
• A Sky Q app will also become available on smart TVs and third-party devices, allowing even more people to enjoy the Sky Q experience.